IRF and IPF coding requirements are different from the typical acute-care setting. This session will explore differences in coding guidelines for IRF and IPF, diagnoses considered to be complications/comorbidities, and unique terms coders need to understand. Coders should work collaboratively with rehab and psych staff to ensure correct, complete documentation required for proper reimbursement.
- Gain an understanding of the Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities Patient Assessment Instrument (IRF‐PAI)
- Describe the Impairment Group Code (IGC), Rehab Impairment Category (RIC), and how these differ from MS‐DRG and the MDCs
- Identify etiologic diagnosis, comorbidity tier, and Case Mix Group (CMG)
- Learn why queries are important in the inpatient rehab setting
- Understand the need to work collaboratively with PPS coordinators, therapists, coders, physicians, etc.
- Recognize how documentation gaps can affect coding